Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Magic Under Glass Controversy

Most of you have probably already heard the controversy over Bloomsbury's whitewashing of the cover of Justine Larbalestier's book, Liar. And most of you have probably heard that Bloomsbury has done it again with Jaclyn Dolamore's book, Magic Under Glass.

I just had a few thoughts about this.

My first thought was, "What the heck?" I guess I've always been a little clueless about racial issues. I think I've just assumed that everyone was equal, and treated others as such. I don't remember ever thinking that someone of a different race was inferior in any way to me. So, seriously? This is still a problem? How sad.

The next thought is the real reason I'm posting this. I've seen others reply to this controversy by swearing to boycott Bloomsbury AND Jackie's book.

All I can say is, please don't. This isn't Jackie's fault, and you'll only hurt her. That seems counterproductive, since she's the victim here. So, instead, go out and buy the book. Then write a scathing letter to Bloomsbury. Or sign a petition. Or blog about the unfairness of it all. But please don't boycott Jackie's book. Jackie deserves our support, not our censure.

I don't know Jackie personally, but I can imagine how difficult this must be for her. Here's my public show of support for her and her book.

Go buy it. Seriously.

(Okay, off my soapbox.)

(I would also like to add that I am not judging Bloomsbury in any way here. I don't know what went on behind closed doors, nor do I really understand all that goes into choosing covers for books. While I don't agree with racism in any form, I'm willing to give the publisher the benefit of the doubt. I just wanted to make that clear. I mostly wanted to make it known that I really empathize with Jackie and want to make sure she's not the one getting the short end of the stick here, so to speak.)

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Elissa.

    Also, this was a two-book deal, and she also has a companion novel all with Bloomsbury, so a boycott would *really* hurt Jackie.

    ReplyDelete