Friday, May 4, 2012

Friday Reads: The Clockwork Three

I've met Matthew Kirby a few times around my local writing scene, so when I heard about his book I had to pick up a copy for my home library.  I'm so glad I did.  (The moral of this story is: support your local writers.  Okay, off my soapbox.)

The Clockwork Three
by Matthew J. Kirby

For: 8-12yos

Genre: Uh... (adventure, fantasy, steampunk, mystery, urban mythology, you name it, this book's probably got it)

Published: 2010

Description: Giuseppe is an orphaned street musician who sees no way to escape, until the day he finds an enchanted green violin.

Frederick, an apprentice clockmaker with a past he cannot remember, secretly works at night to build the most magnificent clockwork man the world has ever seen.

Hannah is maid in a grand hotel, whose life is one of endless drudgery until she encounters a mystifying new guest and learns of a hidden treasure.

As mysterious circumstances bring them together, the lives of these three children soon interlock, like the turning gears of a clock, and they realize that each one holds a key to solving the others' mysteries.

Why I liked it: Oh, man.  This book rocked my socks off!  I loved that the three main characters gave the author an outlet to bring three distinct genres together in one amazing book.  And I loved how Kirby was able to weave three distinct stories into one cohesive and satisfying whole.  Plus, it was a great story.  I lost myself in it, and that's always a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds really interesting and fresh as far as the plot and characters go. I may have to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do! I'd let you borrow my copy, but it's making its way around the neighborhood kids right now. I think my home library is checked out more often than the county library branch down the street! ;)

    And Matthew Kirby's 2nd book, Icefall, is supposed to be amazing, too. It just won the Edgar for Juvenile literature last month. I haven't read it yet, but it's at the top of my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete